Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Reject or worship God?

As you can see in my title to this post as a former christian turned atheist, when it comes to worshiping the biblical god or any god, I just don't get it. So according to the primitive thinking religionist who are stuck in the dark ages we were created by some being, who for some reason created us with the sole purpose of stroking his over inflated ego? Once again if that was gods plan, then I don't get it.

One of the things I noticed when I was completely free of my religious beliefs and ideals, was the feeling of being unburdened by what I now define as superstition. I don't see a difference between religion and mythology because in both cases they were born out of ignorance. Once a religion was disproved or lost its appeal it was then no longer called a religion but a myth, as is demonstrated by the many myths usually taught to us in school.

I am sure that the Greeks truly believed in their pantheon of gods just like every christian believes in his god, yet Christianity is annoying in that they make truth claims that are unprovable, and based on what they read from a six thousand year old text. They claim that the bible is right, that we should worship this invisible being in the sky and be thankful simply because he created us. We owe him our lives literally!!

I feel that rejecting these primitive beliefs is the only way that you as a person can truly enjoy life, and learn and grow from your experiences. Not concerning yourself about mythical hells and curses or blessings, but enjoying this life to the fullest for the brief time that we are here. Doing what makes you happy and at the same time enriching the lives of those around you. You don't need a god to guide you in this life you just need to make the most of it while you are here.

1 comment: