Monday, January 23, 2012

Christians Are Not Listening To Jesus

This is an awkward post but I got the idea from a theist who verbally tried to belittle and attack me on my youtube email. He was responding privately to one of my videos where I discount the bible as a book of ancient plagiarized myths among many other things.

He claimed to be a "real" Christian, whatever that means. We had some pretty heated exchanges where we stooped down to the level of two uneducated assholes arguing about scripture complete with personal attacks and a boat load of swear words. It baffles me how to this day not all but some who claim to be Christians can stoop to this very low level of evangelizing, and I use that term loosely.

After I got tired of toying around with him I decided to send him an email where I quoted the following scripture:  'But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you' Matthew 5:44 KJV. If you're a Christian who claims to walk in the footsteps of Christ and seek righteousness then why are you not doing it.

In fact according to the scriptures when Christ sent out his apostles to preach the good news about the coming of the Kingdom of God on earth he said the following: 14 'And if anyone does not welcome you or listen to what you have to say, as you walk out of the house or town shake the dust from your feet.' Matthew 10:14 NJB This is not what we are seeing today, contrary to what Jesus preached and taught Christians are trying to shove the gospel down everyone's throat against their wills by extreme evangelizing and by trying to seek legislation in government that support their beliefs.

Instead of preaching to the masses in peace they become hostile and confrontational whenever someone like myself disagrees with them. I'll take this admonishment for the church a little further using their own bible. ' Make sure that no one captivates you with the empty lure of a 'philosophy' of the kind that human beings hand on, based on the principles of this world and not on Christ.' Colossians 2:8 NJB You're not supposed to be confrontational you say what you have to say and leave.

Where in the bible do you see Jesus arguing ardently with unbelievers? In fact he would admonish them and move on. When Jesus went back to his home town the bible states that he did not many works there because of their unbelief. You can read it in Matthew 13:54-58 He did not stick around and fight with the unbelievers he simply ministered to those that did believe and moved on. I guess this is one of those big cherries Christians like to leave on the tree.

I don't know about you but when I was an evangelist 18 years ago it was truly all about love for my fellow man. I preached with compassion and even understanding, but when I saw that I was not getting through to someone I would leave them with a verbal God bless you and I will be praying for you. I never got into arguments about the word with unbelievers it just went against everything I believed back then.

Just for the record, I am and have been an atheist for about 18 years now and don't believe in God, nor do I accept the bible as the word of God nor divinely inspired in any way. I don't believe that Jesus was the son of God, in fact I don't believe that he was even an historical figure. I am just using my knowledge to point out an obvious fact based on my years of observation debating Christians online and in person.







14 comments:

  1. The internet makes everyone crazy!

    ...or the crazy ones use the internet. A lot of so-called Christians use abusive and threatening language on the internet but probably wouldn't do it in person. I've never heard of anyone being converted from that kind of language. Deconverted either

    ReplyDelete
  2. i live in africa and i can tell u if i had to go out announcing am atheist, i think i'd get the living shit kicked out of me. Thats how scary christians are so i keep it to myself and only share it with a few open-minded people who however maintain a belief as well. i am in agony coz where i work, there's mandatory fellowship for 15 minutes every morning and this self righetous volunteer pastor comes in everyday demanding that we love god and bla bla, its fuckin sickening!! but i can tell u one thing, nothing gives me more of a laugh than watching these dudes blabbering away in tongues. its fun to watch and sometimes i switch to TBN or the Islam channel just for a laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree LA, the internet is chock full of nuts. But I have encountered in my time some Christian hostility in person as well. Even from members of my own family! @anonymous, thanks for sharing your story. Wow 15 minutes of worship daily at work of all places! Mind blowing. I live in the Bronx, in New York and I am very open about my atheism. I guess I could care less what other think about me not believing in God. The way I see it, the same way theists have the freedom and the right in this country to shove fairy tales down peoples throats. I too as a citizen of this country have the same right to refuse and even be open about my reasons for refusing religious influences in my life. Thank you both for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Chatpilot - Thats to bad about so-called "Christians" and there verbal attacks against you. Personally, I would stick to attacking the disagreement, not stoop to attacking the person. As a blogging Christian, I find it important to be "loving" and not condemning in my posts because that is our example, that of the love of Christ. When someone is not loving, I would argue that they may not truly be Christian, because they are not demonstrating the fruit of the spirit(Galatians 5:22), rather they are showing the work of the flesh (Galatians 5:19...fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions)

    Haha I know I'm giving you ammunition to throw at them, but if they think they are Christian, then they need a wake up call!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bible has all the ammunition I need LB but I don't waste my time with it. Today I got another derogatory email by him and so I have resorted to blocking him from emailing me. When I did cite scripture to him he said that he did not need a lecture from a lost atheist such as myself. In fact, he even doubted the fact that I was a former evangelist lol. I don't get angry when I see that someone cannot agree with me on certain matter I just drop the ball and walk away. Besides getting angry at your computer for relaying an email does not make any rational sense. LB since we started corresponding you have shown yourself to be cordial and one of the best theists that I have ever corresponded with. You are a good example of what a Christian online should behave like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Chatpilot - Thanks! Just because we disagree on the existence of God doesn't mean we can't be friendly or at least civilized about it!

      Delete
  6. I like that saying that religion is like a penis - it's fine to have one but just don't wave it around in public and PLEASE don't shove it down children's throats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny that you mentioned that Matt, I have seen this saying before but I can't quite recall where I have heard it before. Although it's a little vulgar it is true.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this whole website is complete bologna

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Anonymous, wow how insightful! Where did you learn that from your pastor or church? Oh let me guess, after reading an article or two the Holy Ghost said in your head: "It's lies, all lies!!" Moron, read a book other than the bible then come back an talk to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bologna - a large smoked sausage made with a variety of finely ground seasoned meats, usually including beef and pork

    Yummy!

    Really good just like this blog.

    Chatpilot - am a new reader to this blog and am really enjoying it. Keep it on going & thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your comment and support SunshinEsBH. stayed tuned I got a lot to share with my theist and atheist friends around the globe. I am glad you are enjoying this blog and welcome to the fold my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whatever I say to you I assume you will still hate god, in the end though if it’s due to your own sins that you will not give up so you hate god instead or the “real Christians” you have meant and hated! Know that not all Christians are what you grump them all together to be…. many live vary peaceful lives and try to follow god’s commands as best as they are able… also there are thousands of artifacts, cities, names and areas that are describe in the bible and there is evidence proving that many of the stories in the bible are historical facts ---- to make your blog stronger you should research the opposing side state their facts and then your opposing FACTS NOT OPIONIONS!!! of the argument and try to not be so bias on your blog (because YOUR OPINION doesn’t matter when it came to HISTORY) I will be looking forward to your reply and a fact based blog of your point of view excluding opinions ------ “Much of the Bible, in particular the historical books of the old testament, are as accurate historical documents as any that we have from antiquity and are in fact more accurate than many of the Egyptian, Mesopotamian, or Greek histories. These Biblical records can be and are used as are other ancient documents in archeological work. For the most part, historical events described took place and the peoples cited really existed. This is not to say that names of all peoples and places mentioned can be identified today, or that every event as reported in the historical books happened exactly as stated.” (you can write the Smithsonian Natural History Museum, Washington DC for the full text.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Anonymous, let's start by getting your ridiculous assumptions about me out of the way. I can't hate God since I am pretty sure that he/she/or it does not exist. There is no such thing as "real Christians" because trying to live by God's standards are impossible and anyone who claims that they have succeeded in doing so are liars and hypocrites. You said: "there is evidence proving that many of the stories in the bible are historical facts," I would actually love to see some. For example there was no evidence for the so called Exodus of the Hebrews from slavery in Egypt, nor of their 40 years sojourn in the Sinai desert. There are many others but this is just to whet your appetite to do some real research. If you are interested in seeing what archaeology has to say about the biblical narratives here is a good 4 part video series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t440bxhn1qA follow the links after the first one. But I also suggest you read the book by Israel Finkelstein and Neil Asher. If you want facts put in the work like I did. I was a practicing Pentecostal with a ministry that lasted 4 years it only lasted that long because it took me that long to realize what a crock of shit the bible and all religious beliefs based on myths and ancient superstitions really are. Thanks for your comments they were very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete