Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Another embarrassing biblical contradiction!

Every once in a while I like to draw my sword of logic and my shield of reason as I pierce through the lies and the mythological and nonsensical narrative known as the Bible. It's always fun to see the Christian response to some of the contradictions I have exposed on my blog as I marvel at their corruption of reason and twisted logic.

Today we will be focusing on the claim that the biblical deity Yahweh possesses the attribute of being omniscient or as we say in layman's terms all knowing. Note that I will be quoting quite often from the scriptures for reference purposes.

Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. Luke 12:7

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." Jeremiah1:5

"And you, my son Solomon, acknowledge the God of your father, and serve him with wholehearted devotion and with a willing mind, for the LORD searches every heart and understands every desire and every thought. If you seek him, he will be found by you; but if you forsake him, he will reject you forever. 1 Chronicles 28:9

The eyes of the LORD are everywhere, keeping watch on the wicked and the good. Proverbs 15:3

Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account. Hebrews 4:13

So according to these various verses I have quoted from both the O.T. and the N.T. God is in a lot of ways like an early version of Santa Clause who happens to see you when you're sleeping, knows when you're awake, he knows when you've been bad or good so be good for goodness sake! I don't know about you but the idea of some invisible guy in the sky who seems to have more flaws than myself watching me and knowing my deepest darkest secrets is kind of creepy.

Having said those preliminary words let's get to the contradictions.

If Yahweh is all knowing and wise then why would he have to ask stupid questions and do stupid things in the scriptures to verify certain things.

8Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as he was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden. 9But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?”10He answered, “I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.”11And he said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?” Genesis 3:8-11

There are several things wrong with this passage. First if God is all knowing then the idea of "hiding" from him is utterly ridiculous. Some theists have said to me that this is not a contradiction God knew what happened he just wanted to give them the opportunity to confess their sin themselves! I beg to differ. When you read that part of the narrative the good Lord seems genuinely surprised and caught off guard at not knowing for sure. He asks the question with authority and apparently demanding an answer. Another problem I have with this story is the idea of the Lord strolling through the garden it sounds kind of silly and makes the story in my opinion more unbelievable. Also, the fact that God has to ask the the two questions: Where are you? and whether or not they had eaten from the forbidden tree make him look like he doesn't know anything and is not omniscient at all. So we have the good Lord taking a Sunday stroll through the garden looking for his friends, pets, servants, and slaves Adam and Eve followed by actually three stupid questions he should have known the answers to.

It's the equivalent of sharing an apartment with your spouse and you making a sandwich and putting it in the refrigerator for later. Then when you come back to it later you find that it's not there and immediately go to your spouse and ask: Did you eat my sandwich that I left in the fridge earlier? A stupid human habit that we all seem to possess. 

9Then the Lord said to Cain, “Where is your brother Abel?”“I don’t know,” he replied. “Am I my brother’s keeper?”10The Lord said, “What have you done? Listen! Your brother’s blood cries out to me from the ground.Genesis 4:9-10

This time two stupid questions that an omniscient god should already know the answer to! Somehow the brothers blood is crying out from the ground ratting on his brother for murdering him. It is not till then that the good Lord knows what has happened. 

5But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower the people were building. Genesis 11:5

This ones a hoot! He actually had to come done  from heaven to have a look at the tower he heard they were building. Once again for an all knowing being he seems to have to confirm things an awful lot in the scriptures. I will end this post with one of my favorites.

20Then the Lord said, “The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous 21that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know.” Genesis 18:20-21

This one is especially revealing because it states that God had to come down from heaven in the form of a man along with two angels to confirm if what he heard about Sodom and Gomorrah was as bad as he heard it was. In other words he didn't know or wasn't so sure about it so yet again he goes through great lengths to confirm it. It's also interesting that he confesses his lack of knowledge at the end of the 21st verse. I think I have sufficiently proven the contradictory claims of the Bible regarding God's so called attribute of omniscience. It seems to me like the good Lord doesn't seem to know much about anything. Contradictory stories and claims all throughout the scriptures are rampant and quite honestly if I really put my mind to it I could do this all day. 

Note: All biblical citations are taken from the New International Version of the scriptures.

18 comments:

  1. The Buybull, far from being a "good book", is both utterly retarded and evil. No sane and intelligent person not brainwashed into believing could possibly read it and think it anything other than a pile of utter nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sentiments exactly all it takes is to read it with an open and unbiased mind to see the absurdity of it all.

      Delete
    2. Matt you come on here and say no intelligent person would read it when your not intelligent enough to spell bible (buybull) right.

      Delete
    3. "Matt you come on here and say no intelligent person would read it when your not intelligent enough to spell bible (buybull) right."

      You're killing me Jesse! How old are you? Five or six years old? I've known Matt for a couple of years now and he spells buybull that way on purpose. It's short for buying into the bullshit that is the Bible. Damn Jesse your intelligence quotient seems to be dwindling with every petty and nonsensical comment you make. Keep up the good work lmfao!

      Delete
    4. And he doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're."

      Delete
  2. The myth about the Tower of Babel has always amused me. The same god who was afraid the beings he created might be able to build a tower tall enough to reach Heaven now tacitly permits aircraft and space vehicles capable of altitudes thousands or millions of times higher than any "tower" that could be conceived or built. Why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually a good question paul. I guess the ban on building towers and space craft has been lifted by the good Lord since he has moved from the heavens into deep outer space and finally outside of the realm of space and time as we know it.

      Delete
    2. Not to mention the idea of a TOWER reaching outer space would be beyond even modern engineering - let alone that of a time before steel frames, etc. And even if it was possible anyone climbing it would die of hypothermia and/or asphyxiation LONG before they got past the clouds.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, that story is stupid as shit!

      Delete
    4. Actually, it gives even shit a bat name.

      Delete
  3. Why must god "come down from heaven" to see what's going on? The answer should be pretty obvious to any reasonable mind: god was created by man, and in the image of man; therefore, similar limitations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, it's funny how he is exactly like us. He's got quite the temper, is vain and doesn't like to be ignored, gets jealous, is a murderer, etc. He possesses every single human bad trait some of us have.

      Delete
  4. It's a literary and rhetorical device called, interestingly enough, a rhetorical question. You should start reading some academic literature instead of what's being done here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I''ve read quite a few "academic" works on the Bible. They're nothing but blatant displays of the obvious. No amount of redefining, reinterpreting, or academic fine tuning is going to make the Bible anymore credible. Apologetics are nothing more than a perfect display and example of cognitive dissonance.

      Delete
  5. No, you haven't read any academic works with respect to these issues. Know how I know this? You didn't even correctly identify the issues: hermeneutics (which is engaged in by any and all sides, without respect to the theistic debate), NT and OT textual studies, literary genres, etc. The fact you think evidences of historical types for or against any of these things is the type of thing that is "blatantly obvious" betrays your massive ignorance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "No, you haven't read any academic works with respect to these issues."

    I've read plenty I'm just not interested in apologetics and don't think that you have to go through all the trouble of learning Aramaic, Hebrew, Greek, or Koine to see that the Bible is nothing more than just another collection of ancient, foreign, myths and superstitions of the ancient Hebrews.

    I wonder, are you as comitted to studying the Koran? In fact, you boast about your so called education on hermeneutics, biblical exegesis etc. but even theists don't agree on what the Bible says. Depending which sect you belong to greatly influences your biased interpretations of those scriptures. There is a reason why there are so many Christian sects around 40,000 worldwide and they all have read the same book and come out with a different interpretation. Yoiu might as well boast that you have a degree in Santa Clause studies lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You say your so smart Chatpilot but you cant even go back and spell check your comment to know you missed spelled you (yoiu)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "You say your so smart Chatpilot but you cant even go back and spell check your comment to know you missed spelled you (yoiu)"

      You're so petty it's pathetic lol. What does a typo have to do with intelligence? I was going to question whether or not you have ever misspelled something or had an unintentional typo, but you answered that for me in your petty reply. It's not missed spelled lol it's misspelled. I guess you're not as smart as you think after all!

      Delete